Learn to speak in a new language the very first day of school. Emphasis is on speaking and conversation. Students will learn to speak about topics of interest to adolescents such as home, family, school, sports, seasons, weather, shopping, food, etc. In addition, students may apply their learning through culturally appropriate art projects, music and games, and they will learn to appreciate their cultural studies through food tasting, videos, and the celebration of certain holidays.
Students who achieve a B- or better average in a IA course are eligible for placement in a IB course in eighth grade. Eighth graders who maintain an overall B- average for the year will be recommended for advanced placement (Level II) in high school.
Overview of Spanish 1a
Class Rules and Expectations
* Students are expected to be seated and ready to work when the bell rings.
* Students will bring pens and pencils and their own papaer to class every day.
* No hats, toys eating or chewing gum allowed with the exception of a bottle of water.
* Respect others and their property.
* Cheating is never acceptable( Parents will be notified immediately and grade wil be dropped one level.)
* Accumulation of three tardies will result in a referral to the adminiistration
** Participate and have fun!!
* If a student chooses to break a rule, the consequence will be...
1. Verbal warning and/or name on the board.
2. Fifteen minutes detention, usually during lunch.
3. Thirty minutes detention before school or after school at the teachers convenience and a phone call home.
4. Student sent to the associate principal and phone home .
Bring to class every day
1. A 3 ring binder or folder JUST for Spanish. Plese keep all returned assignments in this binder.
2. Currrent assignments and hand-outs.
3. Two sharpened pencils .
Homework is assigned 3-4 times a week. Homework is rarely more than a fifteen minute review of what is covered in class. All written homework is due at the beginning of the class on the following day and is worh 2 points. All homework is to be completed at home.
If a student has an excused absence, the student has the same amount of time to make up work. The student is responsible for obtaining missing ssignments, It is not the teachers responsibility to notify students of missing homework.
Please feel free to ask Sra. Lopez for help. I am usually availible in my room before and after school and during lunch hour.
Please sign the parent and student letter to return the first week of school (see tab under overview).