8th Grade Science
15 Point Astronomy Quiz: Multiple Choice.
Wednesday, 2/15/17: Periods 1 and 2.
Thursday, 2/16/17: Periods 3, 4, 5, 7
You can use a cheat sheet (single sided 8.5" x 11" piece of paper). It must be hand written.
Extra credit can only increase a students grade by one "grade-bump" per quarter. For example, one "grade-bump" would be a C+ to a B-. Extra credit must be related to what is being studied that quarter.
1. Science Center Visitation: You must relate your observations to the topics studied that science we studied this quarter.
2. Mythbusters Write-up: Watch a Mythbusters episode that is directly related to what we studied this quarter. Write a 1-page (double spaced) summary that includes:
- You name and date of the write-up.
- Title of episode. Season #, and episode #.
- A description of what the Mythbusters are testing and their stated hypothesis.
- A description on their experiment and/or test.
- A description of how they modified their original experiment and/or test.
- Their conclusion.
- Explain how the episode relates to what we are studying in science this quarter.
3. Student Project:
- Do an internet search for a student project related to what we are studying.
- Try different combinations of key words. Be as specific as possible.
- Find a project that both you and your parents think is doable.
- Get approval from your teacher to certain the project is appropriate.
- Build it. Take pictures while you do so.
- Bring it (or pictures...cell phones OK) into class.
Bay Area Science, Technology, and Nature Centers
Exploratorium (San Francisco) http://www.exploratorium.edu/
Chabot Space and Science Center (Oakland) http://www.chabotspace.org/
Travis Air Base Museum (Fairfield) https://www.travis.af.mil/
California Academy of Sciences (San Francisco) http://www.calacademy.org/
The Tech Museum of Inovation (San Jose) http://www.thetech.org/
Lawrence Hall of Science (Berkeley) http://www.lhs.berkeley.edu/
Black Diamond Mine (Antioch) http://www.ebparks.org/parks/black.htm
Zeum, Yerba Beuna Gardens (San Francisco) http://www.zeum.org/home.html